Monday, June 4, 2012

The Past Isn't All Bad


As I look back, especially on my high school years, my style wasn't that great. I had long, untamed hair. I wore all black. I had roughly 5/7 t-shirts that I wore in rotation under the same hooded sweatshirt every day. To sum it up I had no clue what I was doing and took advice from no one, but that's high school, right? As I got older I grew out it, but there's one key thing I learned from it. Don't always follow the trend.


Would I go back and do things differently? Most likely. I'm more clean cut now than I was before, but I still think I have a bit of an edge because of my nature to distance my style from "trendy" looks. So here are five of my personal tips to look current, but stay unique:

  1. Solid colors are your friend. This is a personal philosophy, but I think it's one that most people would agree with. You can never go wrong with solid colors. This applies to tees, button ups, cardigans, pants, etc.
  2. Button Ups aren't always formal. No matter how comfortable you are wearing anything out in public, it never hurts to look presentable. I find that I'm treated nicer and taken more seriously if I dress up a bit. This doesn't mean you have to grab lunch in a suit, but a button up shirt works wonders. If you feel the need, work a loose tie with it. 
  3. Be selective in your footwear. Shoes are an vital part of a man's wardrobe. The first thing people tend to notice are shoes. They notice not only how they are kept, but what they are and how well they go with what you're wearing. In short, all black oxfords for formal and pair of casual loafers (I rock a pair of all black jazz shoes from Urban Outfitter.). As far as athletic shoes, I recommend having two to three pair.
  4. Keep accessories to a minimum. A nice watch or wristband can work wonders for an outfit, but don't over do it. Save the five Jesus chains for Kanye. My advice.. Rock a nice watch and a casual tribal style wristband. Both are very current and subtle, but accents any outfit well. (Check out Meg's post on Spring Trends & Accessories.)
  5. Bathe. It sounds incredibly weird as a fashion tip, but it's the truth. Cleanliness might be the most important key to fashion.. to me at least. You'll look and smell better which ties back to my point about being taken more seriously. If people think that you take yourself seriously, they'll do the same.

Most of the tips I listed are mainly for casual occasions. I've seen far too many people who are out in public in their pajamas. I just think that you should get dressed in the morning, look in the mirror and feel confident in what you're wearing. I follow the tips above and that's how they effect me.

Post written by: Thomas Sawyer (C) 2012, Predicate Attire

No comments:

Post a Comment