Monday, June 18, 2012

Summer Date Night: Formal



I was reading an article on "Art of Manliness" website on my break at work the other day. The article was called "How to Remember a Person's Name". I highly recommend you read it. This got my creative juices. So today I'm going to incorporate both fashion advice and tips on sophistication in one post. You'll understand after you read, so bare with me!

Here are my tips on assembling a dinner date outfit (Since I've never assembled an outfit for a woman going on a dinner date, I can't really give advice. Maybe I'll tell Meg to write a sequel. Hint hint):
  1. Dress with Respect. For starters, it will make you feel more confident and if you're confident, you're comfortable which makes the whole atmosphere more laid back and less awkward. It also shows that you respect yourself and your date. So all around win-win.
  2. It MUST have buttons If you're wearing something to a dinner date that doesn't have buttons, you are doing something wrong. T-shirts are not formal. Button ups are the first choice, but if that's not your style, at least grab your self a nice polo.
  3. Jeans are acceptable This one really depends on the intensity of the date. I'd say almost all dates are appropriate for jean wearing, but if you're going out with the parents or to a wedding, step it up. That's a no brainer.
  4. Ties are your friend If you're rocking the smooth, fitted button, you're the man. But what can take you up a notch? Rock a slick, skinny tie. But don't tie it ultra tight, wear it loose and you'll be on a whole other level. If you purchase the right size shirt and the appropriate tie, you basically have just purchased the comfiest outfit ever. Most guys hate dressing up and could never understand that last statement. Let me tell you if you go to a tailor and get measured, you'll experience it.
After I finished the article, I happened to look through the first couple of comments and there was one in particular that caught my eye. It was by user who went by Matt and it said this:
My girlfriend sometimes laughs at me, but I like to know the name of my waiter/waitress when eating out, so the first thing I’ll do after they walk away is say aloud to her: “Our waitress’ name is Katie”. (Though ideally, I say the real name, and not just ‘Katie’, haha)
If I didn’t catch the name, I’ll ask her, because after about 10 seconds she’s already forgotten and moved on to the menu. She doesn’t appreciate the importance of knowing (and using) a person’s name, so she doesn’t even listen or pay attention most times. But if I want her help, I know I need to ask as soon as the waitress walks away.
It’s definitely a way of getting better service to use their name if you need to grab their attention. Most people appreciate being called by name, rather than “hey, waiter!”, although it’s not 100% crucial. I still find it’s a good habit to keep, and have been making a conscious effort to remember names when I meet someone, ever since high school. (Because hey, it’s part of becoming a man, in my opinion, to show respect for others)
This brings me to my tip of sophistication for todays post. I think everyone should try to take Matt's approach to being a gentleman (Ladies can partake too!). I have personally used this method for a while now, even before I saw this, and it works like a charm. There is one particular incident that comes to mind.

I was out at a restaurant with my mother and my sister. I had come straight from work and was running a bit late. My mother had ordered a drink for me, but she didn't know what I was planning to eat. I got there and a few moments later our server noticed I had arrived. She came over and took my order. When she started to walk away, I made eye contact and said "Thank you, Nicole" (I can not remember her name now, but we'll call her Nicole for the sake of the story). The rest of the meal was excellent. We had no problems with our orders and she came back several times to check on us. It's the little things that make a big impact.

Let me know your thoughts in the comments. What's your strategy to getting ready for a dinner date? Do you make a habit of learning the server's name? Or does all that sound ridiculous to you? I can't wait to see what you guys think!


No comments:

Post a Comment